Saturday, December 12, 2009

My latest Gigapans






Osoyoos, BC from Anarchist Summit: My largest Gigapan so far,
2.05 gigapixels. Composed of 405 separate shots (45 columns by 9 rows)


Custom prints of these and other of my files are currently available in very large size, up to 20 - 40 feet wide images with archival inks. Prices are based on a per square foot of the image output.


Write me for ordering: darbkin@earthlink.net.
Other images can be ordered from my site on RedBubble


Gigapan update:

It's been more than a year since my last posting here, but I've been very busy with my GigaPans.
I currently have 50 files uploaded to my site on Gigapan.org.
My largest file so far is the one of Osoyoos, BC. which spans a view of 170 degrees creating a file of 2.05 gigapixels. I uploaded it with my dial-up and it took 152 hours! The file in .RAW is nearly 8 gigabytes.

My subject matter: Landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, industrial.

Problems encountered:
1. Making sure your unit is properly leveled with the Field of View set correctly. Select the subject image area with the center of the image located as closely as possible to the "equator" of the panorama. This prevents the panorama from being warped upwards or downwards.

2. Set the field of view (angle of view) so the there is sufficient overlap (20-40%) between frames. For a 420mm lens at full zoom, this is approximately 3.8 degrees. For 210 mm, 7.5 degrees. More overlap is preferable. Underlap will result in gaps.

3. Set exposure manually or set automatic and then be sure to lock it, along with the focus.

4. Set white balance (daylight, cloudy, incandescent) and lock it.

5. Mechanical problems: The gears and shafts in the unit are rather too loose resulting in wobble during the movements. To correct this I applied some shrink-wrap film to the shafts giving them freedom to move but with a tighter fit.



Printing the files: On my desktop HP printer I run some proofs of the images on glossy paper with the resolution set to maximum (1200 x 1200).
I have also output some of the files at full resolution on a very large Mimaki plotter. Largest files so far are 48" high by 16 feet wide at 300 pixels per inch.
Dan at PosterTech is currently outputting some of them on canvas and plans to help me market them. His biggest printer will image in 4,6 and 8 colour process up to 8 feet high and more than 50 feet long in one piece. Proofs so far look fabulous!!!! It's like standing at the original scene.

~Dave

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Regarding your photo found here: http://www.pbase.com/darby2/image/44971730 and here: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/34901/ - I thought you may be interested in a bit of information regarding that Moul Creek "cabin".
It was built around 1938 by Ted Helset, an immigrant from Norway who moved to the Upper Clearwater Valley with his wife, Jennie, and his two children, Clara and Roy. The building itself is actually not a cabin, it is the old goat-shed that was part of the Helset's first homestead - the house itself would have been located where the road is now, about where you would have stood to take the photo. Ted became a guide and outfitter in Wells Gray, moved to two other houses in the valley, and died in 1979. His family still lives in the Upper Clearwater today, in the last of the houses he built.
The main part of the building was the goat shed area, and off to the side of it was a chicken coop, which has fallen down quite a bit over the years.

cheers,

Tannis Hodgson